Sunday, July 31, 2011

It's been a long time.

It’s strange that I have now been here long enough to be participating in things that happened last year around this same time.  Alas, it is true.  For example, I am participating in my 2nd Roedean and Phedisang Working Together Event…as if Camp GLOW wasn’t amazing, hectic, and crazy busy enough?  Just a few days after I got back, I started frantically planning for the girls from Roedean to come to our community to visit. I don’t know if you remember me writing about their visit last year (eish, a year ago already?) but it was an amazing week (check out the blog I created for them last year on the right).  Roedean is a private school in Johannesburg and girls in Grade 11 have the opportunity to apply to participate in a social awareness project where they help in a rural community for a week. 


This year, we have a packed schedule and I am very much looking forward to meeting a new group of seventeen young girls. They will be visiting our centers to meet and play with the children, going to the primary school to present a drama, planting trees and doing a community clean-up project, and also participating in a celebratory Women’s Day march in the community!  I look forward to writing about their visit so keep checking back...

And speaking of 2nd times, as I was walking home from a fundraising event today, I was stopped by one of my friends asking if I was registered to run in this year Mayor’s Marathon (it’s not really a marathon – it’s just the name of the event). I happily replied that I would be running. I ran last year, didn’t I? So many “2nds”? I’ve been here a long time…

No comments:

Post a Comment