Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks (Again).

Today is Thanksgiving although it doesn’t feel like it much (again…yes, this is year two of celebrating yet another Thanksgiving alone). But, your American Peace Corps volunteers are trying to keep their holiday spirits high by sending texts to each other with holiday greetings and dreaming of stuffing, pie, and (in my case) tofurkey. I did, though, want to make sure to share with you (again) just a few of the things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.

A new pit toilet at my house!
Rainy days during the summer heat to cool things down (like today)
Little kids screaming my name when I’m having a bad day, “Lethabo! How are you?!”
My mom and dad always supporting me no matter how crazy and non-conventional my choices
Vacations to beautiful African places
Good books
Watching cows stubbornly stand in the middle of the road just daring a car to try to hit them
Being able to wear flip-flops almost every day (except for the stepping on the nail incident this week)
Mango trees in almost every yard here
Dancing in my room and calling it a “workout”
Letters and packages from home (seriously, I love getting mail)
My family and friends, new and old

I miss my family and friends at home terribly and think of you every day but am so grateful for my new, extended family here in South Africa. The family that has let me stay in their home for two years (Piet and Ester and Kagiso). The community of Ga-Sekororo that has embraced me including people like Sheron, Olga, Charity, Spokes, Malepe, Motsatsi, and Sara. And also the Peace Corps Volunteers that will forever be part of my family because of this shared experience. I love you all and hope that everyone has a happy, happy Thanksgiving! And, if there is any way you can send me Christmas candy in my next package…I would be thankful for that too!?

1 comment: