Wednesday, February 6, 2013

This is Africa.


I told someone the other day that I both love and hate Africa all in the same moment.  I don’t know that I can completely explain this sentiment but I know that I feel it.  I love running in the mornings and having a little girl smile shyly at me from behind her mother.  I love the sunsets here.  I love that you can see a community working together in small but substantial ways, trying to make things better.  But I hate finding laziness or corruption.  Or the fact that no one questions authority and that they can just accept things they way they are, even if they aren’t working.  And I know these things exist all over the world.  But I have found my way here.  To Africa.  And somehow every day I continue finding ways in which I both love and hate it here. 

The view from my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment