Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Mom and Dad in Zambia.

Over the Easter holiday my parents came for a visit.  My mom visited me when I lived in South Africa but this was my dad’s first time in Africa.  I was trying to remember my feelings the first time I came to Africa and it was both exciting and, frankly, sorta scary.  After living here for so long it seems silly to even admit because it’s just so normal now but when you have no idea what to expect, scary is understandable...another language (although luckily Zambia makes it pretty easy with that), the landscape, different currency, driving on the wrong side of the road.  Everything is just a little different especially when you haven't experienced it before?  Well, I’m proud to say that both of my parents are now quite comfortable and seem to like my little home here in Zambia.  I mean I didn’t expect that they wouldn’t but I have to admit that I was a bit stressed out because, well, I love this place so much and wanted them to like it as much as I do. 

We visited the mighty Victoria Falls which was crazy full due to the high amounts of rainfall this year.  My mom even braved walking across the Knife Edge Bridge and we got “misted” (or rather drenched) with lots and lots of water.  My father loved watching the monkeys try to scope out ways to steal food from the tables every morning at the lodge.  The drive to and from Livingstone was also an adventure as my parents learned that all roads are not created equal.  Potholes, people and many not so well-behaved trucks adorned the road.  We survived the trip though with only a flat tire and then decided to fly to our next destination in the eastern part of Zambia.  South Luangwa National Park did not disappoint.  We saw all kinds of animals including wild dogs, elephants, leopards (my parents can tell you about their exciting experience of seeing a leopard kill an impala and drag it up a tree), lions and soooo many baboons.  I mean hundreds of them.  It was a special Easter weekend. 


I also just dragged them around Lusaka to meet my friends and experience my everyday “normal” life.  We went to dinner with friends, a birthday party “braai”, and just lounged around my flat.  It was nice for them to know that my life here in Zambia is pretty normal.  I think they enjoyed it so much that they might even come back for another visit someday??  Although braving the 30+ hour travel probably will keep them away for a while.  Thanks, mom and dad, for making the trek!  And…I love you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment