Monday, January 8, 2018

Holidays in Zanzibar.

The last time I was in Zanzibar I was a Peace Corps volunteer.  Being a Peace Corps volunteer is fantastic in so many ways but it does typically mean you are always doing budget traveling which can be an adventure.  This time, I went to Zanzibar as a certified Public Health professional (aka, I had a job)!  Not that I didn’t have a fabulous time the last time I was in Zanzibar but it was just different.  This time, I flew to Zanziber (last time I took a ferry) and met up with friends from Mozambique.  We stayed in a lovely hotel (last time I shared a room with my Peace Corps friends…as you do when you are volunteers), played in the most amazing white sand beaches and blue water, and lounged around some pretty spectacular swimming pools.  We also ventured into Stone Town for a couple of days and went on a private spice tour (which I couldn’t afford last time), shopped in the streets and watched the sun set over the ocean at some amazing locations. 

The reality is that I do sort of miss my Peace Corps days.  The intensity of always trying to figure out how we were going to get to the next place and feeling like every day was an adventure.  But it’s also nice not to travel with that huge backpack or wake up with a nasty case of bedbugs.


Happy 2018 everyone!       

No comments:

Post a Comment