Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Expat Living.


My youngest nephew reminded me that I have seen him exactly 3 times since he has been born.  He is now 7 years old.  I am one of the worst aunties ever.  But what made it even more terrible is that he was so amazing and sweet and loved me like I had never been gone during my most recent visit.  He even started plotting my return to America.  Asking his mom (my sister) why I didn’t live there and insisting they come to help me pack my things up in Africa so that I could move into the house next door in 2019.  Yes, I had a little bit of guilt.

This is what I miss about living in America.  I can’t say that I miss the intensity.  I got off the plane and immediately was yelled at for being in the wrong queue (after being told that I was in the right queue by a different person).   It’s hard to be back and not have an intense reaction (both good and bad) to everything.  Sometimes I would just exist in this state of shock and not be able to make a decision.  Or I had the opposite reaction and bought everything in sight.  I mean I really needed one thousand hair ties, right? 

I was home for 2 weeks and went to Colorado, Arizona, Louisiana and New York (2 times).  Since I've been back in Lusaka, people have been asking if I feel “rested.”  No, not really.  I feel sad that I didn’t get to see some friends and like I should have spent more time…with everyone.  Life as an expat is not always perfect but it does come with some pretty amazing benefits.  I will just have to remind myself of all the reasons why I love living here when I’m not as depressed and tired and don't miss my friends and family so much.  

I did post some pictures over there so take a look.  Love to everyone and miss you all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment