Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bell the Protector.

I love Weet-Bix – which is not even that good. Weet-Bix is a sort of dry cereal type bar (South Africa’s #1 cereal is the claim...) that you are supposed to eat with milk but I just like eating dry. I think I am eating too much though. Can you have too much fiber in your diet?

Anyway, I am finding that life is getting better. At least this week it is better. Maybe every week just changes. I have relaxed about the language and actually find this makes it easier. I don’t know what made me so crazy last week (I really was a crazy lady). I was bound and determined that I was going to learn Sepedi in a couple of weeks…it ain’t happening. Plus, to report to you about my tutor situation. My young tutor did show up on Monday and Wednesday (although she didn’t come on Friday) and although she isn’t really a teacher she at least helps me practice plus I feel like it helps her practice her English. In addition, I randomly met a young high school teacher as I was walking home from the taxi and she said she would absolutely help me (after I butchered a few sentences). Her English is really good (as is her Sepedi) and she said that by the end of the year (thus my more realistic time frame) I will be speaking perfectly! And, in return, she wants me to teach her A.) to learn how to swim or B.) to learn how to drive. But, unfortunately, she is terrified of the water as well as cars (and I really don’t have access to either to be able to teach these skills). So, we will see how this all turns out. I’m just happy to be meeting people in my community!

Oh, one other highlight of my week was witnessing an impromptu HIV/AIDS discussion at one of our centers this week. I don’t really know if I have explained what the organization that I am working for does – it is an OVC Center (Orphans and Vulnerable Children) which means that we provide support for children who have lost one (or oftentimes both) of their parents usually as a result of HIV/AIDS. There are seven centers that my project is supporting and we feed children every day from ages 5-18 and then provide various activities they can do after school such as playing with toys, teaching games, singing, help with homework, etc. Thus, these kids are able to get a meal as well as some social support at the centers. Many of these children need more than food – when you think about the parenting that they are missing out on many of the kids look to our small staff to help teach them.  So, anyway, at one of the centers, some kids had some questions about HIV. Well, the staff then decided to sit everyone down and have a really honest discussion about the risks and consequences of being sexually active. Remember, these are children many of which have little to no support structure at home let alone talking to them about sex and HIV? It was amazing. I was really impressed with the exchange of information. It made me proud to be part of this organization and the work that we are doing.

I know that my time here is just starting…two years is a long time. I know that there will be ups and downs. This week has been a good week. 

Oh, and here is a picture of Bell, the friendly dog that I have somewhat adopted.  She rests outside my door and protects me (notice the burglar bars that also keep me protected).

3 comments:

  1. Your African Bell looks like Siggie to me. I'm sure she will protect you just like Siggie did.

    So glad you had a good week.

    Love you, Love you, Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dog.. sounds like your site is a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog. I'm an SA20 in Northern Cape. I'm a fellow adopted Coloradoan too, from a similar tiny town! Ever been to Cortez? I've been to Delta loads of times for the marching band competition there.

    Small world, eh?

    ReplyDelete