Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ke rata go sepela!

So yesterday I went on a nice walk…with a group of people that I don't know who joined me along the way. I set out on my own to enjoy the day and some “jima” (which means exercise) on my day off after doing bucket fulls of laundry. After only 5 minutes I was joined by Maria. She wanted to know my name, tell me about her young dreams of playing soccer in the US, and asking for my number to call me so I could watch her. I listened while she walked with me and then gave her my number (this is always a gamble but I decided she was harmless) and she said farewell. Off I went on my own again. I stopped on the way to say hello to the previous volunteer’s host family. Of course the kids had to walk with me for a bit while they told me about the happenings of school and life in general. Then they turned around to go home. On my way again. But then a young girl who knew me from the center ran out to meet me on the road and we chatted (my broken Sepedi lasts only so long) and then she just walked with me. I asked if she was going home but she said that she was going to walk with me. So we walked and were then joined by another group. Two girls and a young boy. They all joined our crowd in what appeared to be general curiousity (most people don't just walk for exercise around here). So we kept walking. I mentioned that I wasn’t walking back to their villages (again, broken Sepedi) and was now going home. Did they want to keep coming with me? Yes, was the answer. So, we made it all the way back to my village with my small entourage but not without a taxi stopping asking if I wanted a South African boyfriend.  I went back home for a little down time after my nice, relaxing walk.  Ke rata go sepela.


The general commotion that I cause when I walk around is a bit overwhelming I have to admit. I wonder if it will get easier or change in any way? I’ll let you know in a couple of years.

1 comment:

  1. except for the bit about actually having a phone, that sounds like some of the walks i used to take in lesotho!

    ReplyDelete