Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Slow Living Time.

So my wonderful mom (hi mom!) asked me a question about what I do every day when I go in to the office. Well, let me provide a bit of perspective about life in rural Africa because I think that it is important. There is a term here called “African Time” that I have come to call, “Slow Living Time.” This means that while work gets done it gets done when it gets done – you know in SLT (Slow Living Time). I thought that much of my general lack of understanding about SLT was because I didn’t understand the language. No. It’s just the general way of life for most everyone (yes, exceptions do exist I will admit). But, for example, I was told to meet at the “tar road” (this is the main paved road in my village) at 8AM to go to town this morning. We didn’t leave until after 9AM. I don’t really know why. There was a lot of standing around and greeting and talking while we waited for transport to arrive. And in SLT, we left for town and things got done eventually (there was more SLT throughout the day, yes). But this happens often – mostly every day.

The life of a volunteer can’t really be measured by what happens at the “office.” Much of the work we as volunteers do happens in SLT that I can’t even begin to compare to what you all know there in our American lifestyle…I sure didn’t and it has taken me some time to adapt (and I still struggle I have to admit). 

Sometimes, you just wait for the cows to cross the road and enjoy the day. I took this picture on my way to the “office” this morning.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy - in SLT,

    I'm just lovin' your blog! I'm so impressed with your sense of humor in trying circumstances. If a mole can cause such an uproar, imagine my sort of red hair and a face full of freckles - I would really make a lot of "friends".

    Brenda and I promise to send you a care package soon.

    I have one favor to ask? and no it is not a bribe. Is there a way on your blog to change a setting, so that your followers receive an email when you have made a new post? I would love to get your postings right away, and not have to check back, and back. It's sort of like going to the Post Office/Mailbox one day and it's empty!

    We're proud of your accomplishments. Love from John & Brenda

    ReplyDelete