Thursday, May 13, 2010

Yes, it's a mole.

So I forgot to mention that I went to church a couple of weekends ago. In an effort to get to know a few of my community members, I reached out to the family that lives in the village nearby and had hosted the previous PC volunteer. They were nice enough to invite me to church and, innocently, I said that of course I would attend. Well, on Sunday morning I walked to their house (this took half an hour) and we all loaded into their large work truck (their father is a carpenter). When we arrived at the “church” I learned that it is in the process of being built and because there isn’t enough money, it’s not completely finished. There were walls and a roof but the rest was in a bit of disarray. It was at this time that I also discovered that their mom would be conducting the church service. So, being the first family to arrive, we swept the church out and arranged the chairs. I actually wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of a service (I am still not really sure what kind of church it is?) but the oldest daughter had promised to interpret in English for me so at least I would be able to understand. There were a few children that arrived for “Sunday School” which consisted of dancing and singing. A little girl, Blessing, took to me during Sunday School and wouldn’t get out of my lap. She liked playing with my watch – taking it on and off. As people started coming in at about 11AM then the service started, I think. We danced and sang…of course the little girl, Blessing, was on my lap the entire time which quite fine but at one point she started pointing and then trying to pull the mole off my chin. I tried to explain that it was attached in my limited “Sepedi for children” but finally one of the adults had to come and take her away because it was getting a bit unmanageable. The service continued with dancing and singing. Finally at about 1PM there was a sermon (translated for me in English) and then more dancing and singing. We finished at about 2ish. It was actually quite nice although a bit long) because afterward everyone was so happy I had come and wanted to know if I would be coming back.


I will make sure to plan for a long day when I do…

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're finding your way, stranger in a strange land. I recently sent you off a package that includes an issue of the New Yorker that mentions Delta, in a biographical story of a person re-acclimating to America after many years overseas, as a kind of invisible town. I thought it wonderfully apropos, considering your "About Me" sideline, here.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had similar experiences with my intermediate phase kids trying to rub spots off my nose and cheeks. "Freckles!" I say. "Uh-uh," they say, "Thabo o maswe!" and keep reaching for me.

    Don't get me started on a bad sunburn, either. Sometimes that dark skin seems mighty convenient :)

    ReplyDelete