Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It is HERE.

I imagine you have all heard that the World Cup is in South Africa. Yes, FEEL IT.  IT IS HERE (this is said all of the time). I admit that I didn’t really watch soccer that much prior to coming here but I have watched more soccer in this last month than probably in my entire lifetime. Well, that’s not true. I have listened to a lot of soccer (thanks to my reliable radio) and watched a little bit (thanks to a fabulous host this weekend). Including, yes, attending a game. I couldn’t go back to the states having been here during this monumental occasion and not attend a game? Are you crazy? It has been quite fun being part of all of the discussions (some in Sotho) and excitement even through the sadness of Bafana, Bafana getting eliminated. Have you heard about this thing called a vuvuzela (in one of my pictures below at the match that I attended).  Oh, and it was freezing.  Yes, it's cold in South Africa right now. 



We also had a wonderful event at my organization for the children. We hosted a “World Cup” Soccer Tournament to coincide with the start of the World Cup. The tournament was open to the children who visit our drop-in centers.  We had a tournament (with prizes!), provided lunch and had an awards ceremony...it was really a great day. In an effort to build awareness, interest and understanding about how the World Cup works, we have also been sharing information with the children at the centers during the World Cup school closures.  Here are a couple of pictures from the tournament day.  I need to post more as I have some really great pictures of the day!



The World Cup has been a once in a lifetime opportunity for South Africans. Whether you like soccer or not, it has brought together a country of soccer fans.  I wonder who will win?

2 comments:

  1. My bet is Argentina or Spain.. both look really good right now.

    It is cold here in Greytown, but I was lucky enough to get to Durban and ran into Ryan while there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I haven't been on your blog in a while and I feel like I've missed a ton. What a great time - i'm glad you got to take it in!

    ReplyDelete