Monday, July 5, 2010

Courage.

Sometimes it’s strange to look ahead to the weekend and know that you don’t really have a lot going on?  I had a group of about 10 American volunteers come to visit my site last Friday. They are in South Africa for a short volunteer program. I would call their volunteering like a mini “vacation.” They are living in one of the most beautiful towns in South Africa. In a house. With running water. And flush toilets. Where everyone speaks English. And, most importantly, they have each other. But, I do admire their courageous spirit to come to another country to do volunteer work. It’s all good. Anyway, they wanted to visit my village as some of them are contemplating joining the Peace Corps. It was great to have them come and see my organization and visit my little house. Hopefully I gave them some helpful advice/insight. I really enjoyed talking to them and was impressed with their knowledge after such a short time in the country.  But, as they were asking questions it helped to remind me how courageous all Peace Corps volunteers are…myself included. It also reminded me how little I had to do that weekend as they drove away in their car.  And I stayed in my village. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment