Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ants.

This is trivial but true. It seems that rainy season is upon us here in South Africa. Hot, disgusting, balmy, rainy season. This has created a problem for me (I say for me because it doesn’t seem to bother anyone else). On my way to work (or anywhere else for that matter), I encounter thousands upon thousands of ants. Imagine the ground being covered so thickly by ants that it's hard to see dirt. It is awful.

My problem has become getting from one point to another without them literally crawling up my feet and legs as they bite me in a rage. I now have nightmares of trying to get anywhere without trying to dodge these ants. Sometimes I will be walking with someone and I am literally jumping up and down because ants are biting me and the person is just looking at me strangely.  They seem fine?  It's bizarre.  How are they fine?  I’ve asked why these ants doen't bother anyone else and they say, “We’ve gotten used to it. Our skin is strong.” Amazing.

I really hate the ants.  Dare I say more than the heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment