Wednesday, June 29, 2011

All it takes...

Sometimes your faith starts to waiver.  Whether it's just a tough day where nothing seems to go your way or you just start to miss home.  You ask yourself what the heck you are doing here? Maybe it's just time to pack up and go home.  No one cares about my silly projects anyway...and then someone says it.  And it all seems okay again.


I was sitting on the step yesterday at one of our drop-in centers (a drop-in center is really just a youth center but usually only vulnerable or underprivileged kids come to the center) having come from the school. One of the learners at the school is sick and in the hospital so I wanted to see if it was alright to visit him.  Anyway, it was hot and sunny outside so I was sitting outside with three little boys at the drop-in center writing words in Sepedi in the sand. They would try to see if they knew the word I had written in English. I would clap and do a little dance when they got one right (you have to keep things interesting). We then switched to practicing addition – 4+2 =? I would write this equation with my little stick in the sand and then they would count on their fingers and look perplexed a bit but usually the answers would come…it was fun. A good way to spend the afternoon.

One of the staff members sat beside me after my little “lesson” and said, “You are doing a good job.” That's all it took. 

Next week, we leave for the 2011 Camp GLOW!  Thirty young girls will embark upon their first week away at a camp...and they couldn't be more excited.  Literally, the girls talk about camp EVERY DAY.  I can't wait to share pictures and stories with you.  Your generosity to help make this camp a reality is something that I can't thank you for enough!  Stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment