Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The reality.

The reality of day to day life in the village can be a bit? Boring? Socially Isolating? Depressing? I have been having a hard time lately for some reason.  I am actually quite busy with work projects – teaching at the school, helping to set-up a school library, working at the centers, my internship program, this building project, training for the staff and volunteers…anyway, I have enough going on at work. But, the reality of my “social life” is that, well, it doesn’t really exist. After I finish with work, I go home and am alone. Okay, okay, I do hang out with the kids who stop by to visit or my 16 year old host sister or my host father but the idea of “friends” in the village is a bit cloudy. Beyond a few friendly one-liners (and everyone is generally very friendly) the deep, meaningful conversations are quite limited. I mean how many times can I talk about the cost of airplane tickets to America or if I know Beyonce with someone? And my Sepedi still can’t get me the surface stuff?! Plus, when the sun goes down, it's time to go inside (people don't typically linger outside after dark). 

In the beginning of my service, all of this alone/quiet time was quite nice. Coming from a world of being busy all of the time, it was wonderful to just have some time and space to be alone. But now?! I sure am looking forward to going out to a movie or getting a coffee with a few friends everyone once in a while. 

But just remind me to read this when I’m complaining about a busy social life again one day in my unknown future…the grass is always greener, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment