Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Babies!

My friend had a baby last week. I have been waiting for her to have this baby for months (which is kind of how it works, I suppose)? She is probably one of my closest friends here and I am happy to introduce you to Reuben Motsatsi…is he not the cutest (but notice how he is crying when I am holding him but not when his mom is holding him)? 




A few interesting facts you might want to know:

Reuben’s father will not see him until he turns 3 months old (it’s not permitted) – he will only get to see pictures of little Reuben.

Reuben’s grandmother (on his father’s side) went to the hospital and selected his name (even though his father wasn’t allowed to be there or have any input into what his name would be).

Reuben’s mother and father can’t see each other (they can’t even be in the same room) until Reuben is 3 months old. And it will be another 6 months before they can…well, you know.

Reuben and his mom aren’t permitted to attend their church until after he is 3 months old.

And there are lots of other rules that I didn’t really understand (or couldn’t translate that well) - some of them are cultural and some of them have to do with the religious beliefs of the family. 

But, other than that, he’s perfectly happy and healthy and as cute as can be. I’ve even offered to take him back to America with me. Unfortunately they didn't agree to this...so, I'll just take lots of pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment