Monday, October 29, 2012

Welcome to Mongu.

I have arrived in Mongu. And I have also left again. Well, I’m just back in Lusaka for some more training. Which means I spent all of 4 days in my new home but it was good to be able to see where I’ll be living for the next year. Luckily, I was taken there (and back) by a driver from my new organization so I didn’t have to ride the bus (although I’m told the buses are actually pretty decent). It was about a 7 hour drive to/from Lusaka and, yes, we drove through Kafue National Park. I did get to see some amazingly beautiful elephants (like right by the car!) and also impala, kudu, warthogs, monkeys, baboons, and some other deer-like animals (I don't know what they were).  No lions or giraffes or leopards but maybe next time. We also stopped at the Kafue River to get a couple of pictures and we were accosted by a guard telling us to move our car out of the road (I think he was just drunk although to his credit we were parked in the middle of the road). Upon arrival in Mongu, I got to see my house but didn’t get to stay in it the first night. Apparently, the water pump was broken (yes! I have running water!) so I stayed at the lovely Dolphin Inn. It was very quaint in a strange sort of way (and colorful) and I also got to meet the two other Americans who live in Mongu. They are both working for an agriculture project and have been around for a few months. At least I know two people? The next day I moved into my house and, man, do I have a ton of space. It’s a 3 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms (no showers just bathtubs so it’s essentially like taking a bucket bath as you work to pour running water over you...although no hot water but I am quite content because it's extremely hot all of the time anyway). And in the rest of my house there is so much empty space it’s kind of silly. I’m just using the one bedroom and they other rooms will remain empty since I do not have the funds nor the need to get items to furnish them. So, I’m doing lots of handstands and cartwheels to fill my time.

The Mongu terrain is a bit challenging. It is a quite sandy as I was warned. Which makes transport difficult. I will have to get myself to/from work everyday which is about 5km. I do have a bike but we’ll see how that goes in the sand. And, all of this sand makes the water a nice brown color so I’m busy filtering water and it still has a lovely rust color and somewhat sandy taste. But, all in all, Mongu seems good. Still lots to learn.  

I didn't have much time to explore the beautiful flood plains, see the king's palace or check out all of the hot spots in town (aka, the many tuck shops and bars).  But you can check out the photos of my house and those amazing elephants.  And, my new address is posted!!  Start writing letters and sending lots of books (I am in need of good books) and Halloween treats!

Sending my love from Mongu.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy, Hope you are enjoying your time in Mongu. I have been there twice. If you would like to read my blog go to medwoman.wordpress.com.
    If you want to start from the beginning the blog is World Vision made my dream come true.
    I went to visit my sponsored child in Kalabo, first in Aug. 2011 and then again with my husband in Aug. 2012. If you ever need help let me know as I know some people in Mongu.

    ReplyDelete