Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter and Music in Zambia.

During Easter weekend, I don’t think I ate a single bit of chocolate??  Or attended any religious functions for that matter! :) But I did watch a lot of live music?  In Africa, you find new ways to celebrate holidays, I suppose.  

I ended up making my way with a few friends (via a couple of buses and taxis) to Siavonga (which is a beautiful little town/village on Lake Kariba which I think I wrote about when I went there for a work function a few months ago) where they were holding a Zambian music festival.  Although this was the first year this festival was being held, we had been told that “thousands” of people were expected to attend so were anxious to check it out and enjoy music outside by the lake.  Unfortunately, the “thousands” number had been quite inflated.  I would guess that maybe a hundred people were there?  After the initial shock of realizing we were going to be dancing mostly alone (oh well?!), we figured it was still a beautiful setting and there was great music?  So we enjoyed our time anyway…hopefully next year more people will take advantage of the opportunity to hear some great music.  Just so you can feel like you were almost there with me (!), check out the links below (I tried to give a sample of just a few of the great artists)!  I have to say that Zambian music is slowly growing on me…

B-Flow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odQDVWU2Df0

The outdoor stage at the music festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment