Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Going back home.

I’ve been looking forward to returning to my Peace Corps community since I left in March of 2012.  It’s just one of those moments you imagine when you say goodbye because the reality is you never know if you will get the opportunity to go back? 

But, I am one of the lucky ones (at least I feel like one of the lucky ones)!  Last week, I had the opportunity to go back to South Africa to visit my community, my friends, my family.  Yes, these people were, and are, my family.  I will never forget those initial moments of being reunited.  It was simply fantastic!  I got to see so many people who had made a profound impact on my life.  Women I worked with who had become friends.  Children from the Phedisang centres who I had played with every day.  The youth from  my intern project and girls from our camp.  The family who I spent countless Sundays with baking and going to church.  All such amazing people.  And, of course, the family I lived with although one of the saddest parts of my return home was not being able to see the man who had supported me throughout my time living in the community, Piet, my host father.  In June, he passed away.  It was difficult to be back and not see him.  But I got to spend some time with other family members which provided comfort and allowed for a bit of healing since I hadn't been able to go back for his funeral and memorial service.  I sure do miss him though.  

The reason I went back was to help with a project very close to my heart.  The Roedean-Phedisang Residential.  Through an amazing partnership with a school in Johannesburg called the Roedean School, every year a select group of girls are brought to the rural community where I stayed to help at the organization which I supported during my Peace Corps service, the Phedisang Project.  The girls (who are all in grade 11) meet the children who visit the centers every day, play games, help with various projects, and just generally get to see what it’s like to live in the rural areas of their very own country.  South Africa is a strange and complicated country (as are most places).  The poorest of the poor live in the same country with some of the most wealthy.  So the girls are able to learn and appreciate what it’s like to move around in a world that is usually very different from their own.  I helped organize and participated in this project during my Peace Corps service but going back was an amazing opportunity and allowed me to continue to support the project.  I feel lucky to have this rare opportunity and look forward to staying involved. 

I have to also say that I am so proud of the work that continues at Phedisang.  The people working there are doing some fantastic things.  If you are interested in supporting their work, please let me know and I will tell you how you can help.  There is still lots to be done!  I have put some pictures up so that you can see the girls from Roedean in action and of course my amazing project and community - which I will always consider home.  Also, you can visit the blog which the girls updated during their stay (it’s one of the links on the right).

No comments:

Post a Comment