Sunday, February 27, 2011

Amazing Africa.

So I was invited to be part of a family vacation with my adopted South African family (this is a family I have stayed with a few times when I have to travel away from the village). On our “family vacation” we visited the most amazing game park which is situated almost on the border of Botswana (about 20km from the border crossing). A place called Madikwe. It’s hard to explain the African bush until you have been here but the game parks are quite amazing (and this one was exceptional). Prior to coming I had read that the lions at this game park were abundant (they actually have too many and are in the process of removing some) and I would definitely see all of the “big 5.” I had also read that I was in for a bit of luxury living. As you can imagine anything with running water is pretty luxury to me but this place was truly amazing…except at any moment you could be killed by a lion or a poisonous snake or spider the size of your arm because you are in the middle of the bush with a flimsy little fence around the perimeter. Every morning and evening you take a “game drive” which is where you look around for animals in the park – imagine a vast wilderness (not a zoo). It was spectacular. I saw African wild dogs stalk and kill an impala, lions just walking around, elephants outside my room, rhinos…tons of birds which I had no idea what they were but everyone else was always expressing amazement (there are apparently over 350 kinds of birds – that is way too many to keep track of - I am a horrible bird watcher). But I did enjoy the stalking and killing which we were able to witness. To see an animal hunt is intense. I know that sounds crazy coming from a vegetarian but there was something very beautiful about the process.


But, again, I am happy to be home. I miss my little place when I'm gone. I always call my host dad when I am gone to update him about when I am coming back (and he likes to make sure I'm alive and safe). Well, yesterday I called him saying I would be back in that afternoon. His response almost brought tears to my eyes. He said, “We can’t wait for you to come home. We have been missing you terribly.” Ahh.

Oh, don’t forget to check out my pictures. I am getting better about posting pictures.

2 comments:

  1. That sound amazing.. I'm not sure if I will make it out of South Africa before we all leave, but if I do I'd love to go to Bots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are amazing and as always you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete