Sunday, March 6, 2011

Church in Africa.

So I usually go to church here every Sunday.  Not because I’m terribly religious but I really enjoy being with the community that I've found at the church – the family that I go with, the kids at “Sunday school,” the people that I see every week.  Plus there is dancing and singing.  Anyway, there was a bit of a mix-up at church this week. I got a call from the family that I go with – they said that we were going to a different church and asked if I could just meet them at this different church? Well, I was a bit perplexed because I didn’t know where this other church was but I accepted the challenge. I asked where it was and through the phone nodded as they described my destination. “A green roof? Down the dirt road? Yes, I can find it.” Now, you must realize that every road is a dirt road and all buildings/houses essentially look alike. But I understood the general area and figured I would ask someone when I got lost.


I started walking.  And, per usual, I picked up followers along the way.  They just “wanted to be my friends.” So I asked my new friends where the church was and they were very helpful (or so I thought).  I thought I was doing pretty good.  I was on the dirt road walking to a church with a green-ish roof. Okay, there was also a tent too but there were church-like people setting up. It looked promising? I went in (okay, went under the tent) and was ushered to the front (of the plastic chairs in the dirt). Everyone looked happy to see me (and, no, my church family wasn’t there but that wasn’t too surprising as it was early and nothing starts on time).

Church started and I joined in – dancing and singing. Slowly, about 20 minutes later I realized I was not at the right place…but by that time, I was completely immersed in this church (wherever I was) and couldn’t get up and leave. I was hugging people and they were so happy to have me at their church (a bit confused I'm sure but happy). So, I stayed. For four hours. At the wrong church.

As I was leaving, the pastor asked me who had invited me. I just shrugged and said that it was a bit of a mix-up. He didn't seem to mind and asked me to come back next week. Oh no. What do I do now?  Maybe I can just say I got lost if I run into him again and he asks why I didn't come back? 

No comments:

Post a Comment