Wednesday, March 16, 2016

America.

I have to say that going home after a very long time is amazing.  And hard.  When my sister came to visit in October I started thinking that maybe it was time to make a trip back home.  I had missed 5 Christmases, too many birthdays to count, the passing of my good friend and mentor, kids growing up…and you know what I realized?  That time keeps moving forward.  People’s lives don’t stop when you aren’t around.  Which is how it should be, of course.  I have moved forward in my life here.  I share the things that I can and try to stay connected to the people that I love but as my youngest nephew pointed out, “Africa is far.”  Luckily technology makes it a bit easier and I’m grateful for that…at least I can text or call or skype with friends and family.  I’m not sure how people lived across continents without the luxury of social media. 


I had a wonderful time seeing as many people as I could fit into my very short trip home in December.  I also did some very fun things like go to the DMV to get a new license and get my passport sorted.  I drove on what is now the wrong side of the road and ate a bagel.  I shopped at amazing stores including my favorite store (yes, Walgreens).  I got to see snow and a desert sunset again.  I took really long, hot showers (more than one in a day…just because I could).  I also didn’t worry about my phone being charged because there was power all the time.  America really is an amazing place.  But you know what?  I sort of missed the chaos of Africa.  Somehow it sort of just makes sense to me now.

So, happy new year everyone (a bit late as I get caught up with life)!   

1 comment:

  1. Are you looking for opportunity to sell your kidney due financial problem if yes kindly contact us to solve your financial problem now via whats app message only +917411484388

    ReplyDelete