Saturday, August 14, 2010

When you can't beat 'em...

Next week we have a group of girls from a private school in Johannesburg visiting the project where I work. For the past couple of years, my organization has hosted 15-20 girls from this school.  The girls spend 5 days doing a community service project in the villages. This is my first year helping/planning/preparing. It’s been quite...interesting. I am dealing with a very “western” thinking school from Johannesburg and the planning has been done using spreadsheets and lists and I am totally into it (because I haven’t had this much structure since leaving my job).

But then I bring these spreadsheets and schedules back to the volunteers and staff at my organization and, honestly, there isn't much interest in using them. At all.  Everything is somehow, magically done without writing anything down. Although there are a couple that seem interested so I must take baby steps. And deep breaths. 

Anyway, today I decided instead to not sweat it and sang songs with the kids. We sang the “right arm, left arm” song and then the “I love you, you love me” one? I felt a lot better after that. Who cares about spreadsheets and schedules anyway, right?


I’m kidding. I’ll get back to planning later.

1 comment: