Saturday, September 18, 2010

Free form.

I'm just going to share a few thoughts/tidbits/pieces of information.  
  • South Africa (particularly the area where I am located in Limpopo) gets really hot.  We are coming into the "spring/summer" (it all seems the same) - from what I have experienced so far, it is kind of like living in Phoenix without any air-conditioning with an intense, burning sun.  
  • But, no one will open the window in the taxis even though it is like a sweat box in there.  Too scared of getting the "flu."  This is the termed used to describe basically any ailment here.
  • This weather is "boring." Or, that person is "boring."  I hear the term boring a lot and was first very confused.  Now I just use it too.
  • I also have adapted other words (which are slang/english) that include:  "eish"(an exclamation like "wow"), too much (it's too hot, too far, too difficult), spoiled (ruined), bhaki (truck). 
  • Mosquitos are starting to arrive. 
  • Water is a real challenge in many rural areas.  Including the area where I stay.  There is a water tap in the yard of my host father's compound.  Most of the time it doesn't work (I can't really explain why).  There are large water storage containers that families keep water in because of this problem which are called "jojos".  In order to fill your jojo one must take smaller containers to a water source (usually a river) and carry them back (in a wheelbarrow or on their head or, if you are lucky, with a bhaki). 
  • Nothing ever starts on time.  SLT.
  • I was actually complemented on my language skills the other day (I still am not that good...at all) but I proudly accepted the complement by saying, "ke a leboga!" 
  • As I walk through the village, most of the little kids now like to yell out my name (repeatedly until I am out of their range of vision), "Sesi Lethabo! Sesi Lethabo!" It always makes me smile.
I am now goig to go sit in front of my fan and think about snow.  Love to you all! 

1 comment:

  1. I just imagined you smiling and it brought joy to my day. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete