Sunday, September 12, 2010

My work.

I don’t feel like I have talked about my work much? Probably because it’s so difficult to define. I can remember taking a walk one day in beautiful Colorado with my mom before coming here (ahh, I miss our walks so much, mom!) and sharing one of my concerns about coming here. From the little information I had received, read and heard from other volunteers, there seemed to be no defined “job” as a volunteer. You really create your own role it seemed?

So, having now been a volunteer for a few months, I would probably agree that there is no defined role for the typical volunteer.  Which can be really good because you have a lot of opportunity.  And also one of the many difficulties of life as a volunteer.  Let me explain as much as I can.

There are two programs that a volunteer would be working with here in South Africa – Education (which would mean they would be working as an educator at a primary or secondary school) or one would be part of the CHOP program (the Community Health and Outreach Program). I am a CHOP volunteer (this was determined prior to me coming to South Africa). As CHOP volunteers we work with NGOs (non-profit organizations) which usually fall under one of two categories – home-based care organizations or drop-in centers (there are a few other NGOs that a volunteer might work with but these seem to be the primary two types). These NGOs work as organizations that have formed primarily due the demand and need to provide care and support for individuals and families that have been impacted in some way by the pandemic of HIV/AIDS here in South Africa…but it doesn’t mean these organizations provide direct health care. For example, a drop in center might provide food, support, etc. - the net can be cast wide as an organization helps their own community determine its needs.
The organization that I work with is a group of drop in centers (which mean that we work with children that “drop in” to the center before and after school). Our centers provide food for children ages 6-18 as well as after school activities. The organization has been around for a while but there are many changes that we are dealing with this year (for tons of reasons which I won’t go into right now).

So, what I do. I am trying to help with some of the infrastructure issues so that this organization is a sustainable fixture in each of their communities. Helping with things like training for the volunteers and staff (think basic leadership development, computer skills, financial management, etc). In addition, I’d like to develop some more meaningful activities and programs with the kids. While we have a great start, there is an opportunity to do more.

But, the challenge is sometimes not making it about what I want and making sure it’s what the organization/community wants and will support long after I’m gone. That can be a difficult lesson sometimes. Okay, it can be a difficult lesson quite a bit of the time.

Does that help give you a sense of my work?  Maybe.  Maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment