Thursday, September 30, 2010

What If?

It's kind of fun to play the What If game.  You should try it!
• What if it was winter in South Africa right now?
• What if I could understand every word that was spoken in every conversation in my village?
• What if I had all the answers?

• What if I could drink tea all day? Wait. I can!

• What if my skin was black but I was still the same person?

• What if I wasn't a vegetarian?

• What if I did take that random guy who stopped me walking to work this morning back to America with me (he suggested he could live with my family)?

• What if I could get people to put trash in a trash can? Then what?

• What if I changed my clothes more than once a week?

• What if Tia (!) could cook for me every day?

• What if I could learn how to play that game where the kids throw trash and stack rocks?

• What if I could have birthday cake tomorrow?

• What if I could plant grass outside my house to sit on and read my books?

• What if I could go home to America…just on the weekends?

• What if I could take a shower once every 3 months?

• What if the frog at my house jumps on my head while I’m sleeping?

• What if my fingernails continue to rot and fall off?

• What if I couldn’t leave my village? Ever?

• What if I run out of toilet paper tomorrow?

• What if the donkey I saw this morning can’t hear anymore because he was missing an ear?

• What if I can’t find a job when I come home?

• What if I was a Peace Corps volunteer…in Italy?

• What if my name really was Lethabo?

• What if I could drive to Walgreens later?

• What if I had a pet chicken?

• What if my fan breaks and I die because it’s so hot?

• What if I had to eat pap every day at every meal?

• What if my friends and family back home don’t even miss me?!

So I will be heading to Pretoria for the weekend/next week. I am going to a Peace Corps workshop to learn about gardening. Yes, gardening. It is a skill that most of us volunteers do not possess yet find would benefit us here since many of our organizations have space and the need for an additional sustainable food source. I am taking one of the women at my organization. Hopefully I won’t kill any plants. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment