Saturday, January 22, 2011

Strange.

I had a week that was filled with strange and interesting things. But, I must confess that it was one of thost emotional roller coaster weeks for me. One day I was feeling the lowest of low - why did I come to South Africa?  This is crazy? The next, I was on a high - this is amazing?  I am making such an impact!  If I have learned nothing else being a Peace Corps volunteer, it is how to simply “keep going.” And, if you just keep going you get to see and do some amazing, strange and interesting stuff – and meeting amazing people along the way.

To highlight a few of the strange and interesting things this week...
• I was locked IN at work. Yes, I could not get out of the locked gate that surrounds our center for several hours.  I tried to call people and finally got in touch with someone who came and let me out. 

• I discovered that there is a pyramid selling scheme that is moving around my village that some of the people are participating in – and the products are made in Scottsdale, Arizona! How weird is that! It’s some kind of aloe product that you sell and then get other people to sell and then you can make money…I have been solicited to buy these miracle products several times. 
• I was sitting on my porch and one of Piet’s friends was putting shoe polish on her feet. I asked why? She said because it cures her pain. Oh, I said. Why not? I guess the rumor is that brown (you can’t use any other color) cures corns.

I thought I needed to pass these strange items along…and they made me feel happy about being in South Africa.

And, tomorrow, I will get up and keep going so that I can learn more strange and interesting things.

No comments:

Post a Comment