Friday, January 7, 2011

To eat or to look at the mountains?

Before I tell you about my holiday vacation, I realized I forgot to tell you about (and put up pictures) of the day trip we took with the leaders from my project.  We selected the top 12 kids from the Leaders Program to go on a day trip to a nearby area called Blyde River Canyon – it’s an amazing area with many scenic spots that people come from all over to visit but unfortunately people from most of the rural communities in the immediate area don’t oftentimes have the opportunity to go because of cost.  I’m happy the kids got the experience and it was a really great day but I said to my host father afterwards as he was asking me about the trip that there is some universal, built-in programming whereby all teenagers, no matter where they come from, are more interested in eating sweets (this is what candy is called here) and chips and listening to loud music in the car rather than looking at beautiful scenery and learning about the history of the country. Oh, well, what can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment